Sunday, June 8, 2008

What can I say about dear old Richard...

...well for starters he's not very nice.



As far as the play goes, I liked it. I like the way Shakespeare developed Richard's character in that he two-faced everyone and then killed them all. I hated Richard, and I think Shakespeare was banking on most of the audience hating him. This aspect allows what we witness on stage to seem all the more horrifying. We know what he's doing; we hear the evil plans, and the fact that he delights in deceiving everyone. We know it, but we can't do anything about it.

Another thing that I liked about Richard was his attitude regarding his own dispicable evil. He thinks so highly of himself and he delights in the fact that he can so easily deceive and ruin other people. I don't agree with Richard in any way shape or form. He is the epitome of evil in a sense, however I think that Shakespeare developed his character well enough to make him so hateable.

No comments: