Thursday, June 5, 2008

the comedies

I'm a huge fan of Shakespeare and I like many of his plays ranging from comedies to tragedies. My favorite comedy is probably "Much Ado About Nothing" because it's witty and romantic and I found it entertaining. Shakespeare is such a fantastic author that it's hard for me to decide whether I like the comedies or the tragedies more. I like the wit that comes with Shakespeare's humor. Of the works we read in class I think I liked "Taming of the Shrew" more than "A Midsummer Night's Dream" but to be honest I enjoyed both of them. I think that Shakespeare's dialogue in his comedies makes them all the more humorous. A lot of things that are written are between the lines, and I think that's why some hail Shakespeare to be the greatest author to have ever lived, and why some hate him. His humor is blatant in some regards, like the fools' play in "A Midsummer Night's Dream", however there is more humor in the things we pull out of his plays that aren't necessarily obvious. A bit of dialogue between Kate and Petruccio in "Taming of the Shrew" contains wit, humor, and with that some sexual innuendos that once you see are quite obvious. Being able to see this sort of humor, the kind that really isn't intended to be so obvious makes the comedies enjoyable to me in one way or another.

1 comment:

Rigby and the Walrus said...

Not being the biggest fan of Shakespeare, its difficult for me to say I enjoyed Taming of the Shrew or MidSummer Night's Dream. However, I know what you mean by recognizing the merit in subtle and witty humor, rather than that which dominates today's culture(basically if your loud, rude, and can make obvious sexual references you are considered funny). I think I probably would have enjoyed these plays a great deal more had we seen the performances. I think, in the case of Shakespeare, the actors add a great deal to the meaning and effectiveness of his words, perhaps making his intended meaning a little more obvious to the masses.