Saturday, June 7, 2008

She's a Lady.....?

So even though Macbeth, is titled so because of the main and tragic character, Macbeth, I think the title leaves out a pretty significant part of the entire play; a significant part of the entire tragedy for that matter. She's the mastermind, the spark, the one who's really doing all the backstabbing... the one, the only... Lady Macbeth. Here's a character that defied convention not only during Shakespeare's age but does so in present day society as well. Lady Macbeth is one evil woman. Despite having ambition that supersedes her morals Lady Macbeth is poor Macbeth's undoing. Arguably the most prominent theme in the play is the switching of gender roles. Macbeth is more feminine throughout the play, whereas Lady Macbeth is more domineering and masculine. This transformation, the switching of gender roles is spelled out for the audience at parts throughout the play. Act I, Scene 5 begins with Lady Macbeth reading her husband's letter regarding what the witches said. After this she has a brief soliloquy that is worth looking at. In it she makes the gender switch very apparent by basically calling her husband a woman... or at least a guy with a feminine side. "Yet do I fear thy nature; it is too full o' th' milk of human kindness to catch the nearest way". Another thing she says essentially asserts her power into the situation:

Lady Macbeth: I may pour my spirits in thine ear;

And chastise with the valour of my tongue
All that impedes thee from the golden round,
Which fate and metaphysical aid doth seem
To have thee crown'd withal.

Here she is saying I'm going to be Macbeth's ambition, I'm going to be his motivation. Let my words convince him this is the right thing to do, and let what I say cause him to stop at nothing until he wears the crown. Clearly by stop at nothing she means kill Duncan. This isn't the only passage where Lady Macbeth asserts her power. After Macbeth returns from murdering Duncan he carries the knife he used to kill him with. Lady Macbeth is clearly surprised because that wasn't the plan, but she flat out says I'll take care of it, while Macbeth shakes and mumbles "What have I done." She's the stronger one throughout the play and the one with all kinds of evil schemes... is she a lady? That's questionable...

No comments: