Sunday, January 27, 2008

just another fitting quote...

I found this quote online amongst some searching and thought it was interesting in correlation to Player Piano.

"I see the player piano as the grandfather of the computer, the ancestor of the entire nightmare we live in, the birth of the binary world where there is no option other than yes or no and where there is no refuge."
~William Gaddis

Although Gaddis's image of society now may be a little harsh it is not unbelievable, just as PLAYER PIANO is also an image of what may become of the future.

I thought it was interesting tying into the titile of Vonnegut's book too. Apparently Gaddis thought the player piano was the beginning of the end, perhaps Vonnegut did too...

2 comments:

Nada said...

Hey Starbuck. I think that quote ties in quite perfectly with Vonnegut's Player Piano. Yes, it is a bit harsh, but he does have a point. I honestly have no idea who William Gladdis is, so I was wondering when he said that. Maybe he influenced Vonnegut somehow?

Mary said...

I like the quote and I agree with your analysis as well as nada's. It does seem like both these men knew that it was the beginning of the end. And unfortunately sometimes being harsh and blunt is the only way to get the message across because otherwise everyone is just oblivious.